Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wait, Feminism is a philosophy?

24th of February, 2015

This week is more of a rant than a reflection of what I read; Feminism. I did not know it was part of philosophy, but rather, a social movement for women to have equal rights. It's relevant because while watching Her with a friend for the philosophical skepticism/rationalism argument, we had a large debate on, unpredictably, feminism. My friend, a big activist for Anarchy and equal rights and all that-- I guess you could call her a social justice warrior-- opened the movie with the lines, "I don't like that he has ownership of Samantha (the computer program), but I'll see how it goes."

I proposed to her that Samantha had no gender, and he had the option of picking a male voice if he wanted. This was met by a haunted stare. I then proposed whether she would be okay with it if the genders were reversed, so that a woman "owned" a man instead.

"Well I don't know, I'd have to see the dynamics for myself to judge."

To me, this is the large crux of what Feminism has devolved into. Growing up, I, like many children, indulged in cartoons with very adult subtext, such as The PowerPuff Girls. In one episode, there was a femme fatale who was supposed to be the embodiment of Feminism, but when she was caught, she asked for a more lenient trial. Does that strike you as odd? It should, but should not surprise you as that is how a majority of women, in my opinion, think, who tote Feminism as the end-all of arguments.

It isn't about "equal rights" but rather, equal treatment. While those two words may sound similar, I don't believe they mean the same. A woman, of course, should receive the same pay as a man for doing the same job, that is a fact that is sadly not upheld. However, if she commits the same crime as a man, she deserves the same treatment, not lesser simply because of her ovaries. I'd like to point you to Susan B. Anthony, who demanded she be taken to jail for voting as opposed to a slap on the wrist.

Of course, I'm getting all huffy over the kind of women who yell "equality! equality!" but call men un-chivalrous for a man to not hold a door for her, or, God forbid, someone hit her back if she hits someone. She's a girl, after all!

1 comment:

  1. It was interesting to read your thoughts on the question of feminism

    ReplyDelete